Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Why I Haven't Written this Week

Ergh!! This week has been pretty crazy for me and millions of other students in a like situation. But rejoice, the week of finals and final papers is coming to an end. I've pulled 2 all-nighters this week to make sure everything got finished, and now I am easing my way through the last act of the semester.

The easy answer as to why I haven't posted this week is because I've been too busy. But this theory is not entirely accurate. In fact, I normally post when I definitely should not (maybe the subconscious purpose of this Wire is to distract myself from the studies). Actually, I think it is because I have been in such a hyper-drive mode, that it's been difficult to think critically for long periods of time. Yes, I am saying that too much schoolwork can actually limit one's thinking.

We live in such a fast-track world... one that cannot be fully compared with those of the past. There seems to be, at least in my experiences, a model for success in society. That is, you take the classes, you get the grades, you get a quality internship, and then you are supposed to go to grad school so that you can eventually get the well-paying job, which becomes a career, which is supposed to get you the money you need to be happy. This is simplified, but to many this is true... to many parents, if their child diverges from this "plan" it is a sign for serious concern.

Look, I'm not saying that people shouldn't go to college, but I think this way of thinking is inherently flawed. There is no final happiness, and I imagine that the "mid-life" crisis is partly a realization of this fact. It sounds generic, but the journey is the happy part. It is the process of a thoughtful life that make things worth it--that make it all enjoyable and fullfilling.

But the key is to have the ability to stop and think about things--everyday things, boring things, future goals, and dreams. You don't have to be a philosopher to question norms and think about who you are as a person. Live life, reflect, accept that there are lows, but things keep going, and rebounds are inevitable if you want them to be. If you are unhappy, admit it and change things up. Be spontaneous and humble and honest. Self-reflective, not self-conscious. Realistic, optimistic, celebratory and content.

To future lessons.
blog comments powered by Disqus